Here I bring you WP Super Cache setup guide. This is one of the most downloaded wordpress caching plugin. Its easy to use, but have lots of features to get hold of. Over I will give complete guide on how to setup this plugin for best performance.
Remember that W3total cache and WP super cache are based on completely two different logic, but work on the Apace, which is faster than PHP. Its a plugin developed by ocaoimh.ie.
WP Super Cache Setup Guide
The very first thing is to install this plugin. So go to wordpress.org and move to plugin directory. search for cache and download this plugin. Then from your dashboard upload the plugin and activate it. You will get the message in Red color in the head section. It will ask you to go to setting page.
So now go to WP super cache setup page from, setting tabs. You will see that the page is divided into subsections. You have to click on Easy and then click on Caching on, then finally click update status. Now this is easy setup.
Lets move to advanced section. Over here we will need to be careful. The very first thing is to activate all the option for which recommended comment is provided. they all are necessary and are the basic requirements.
- The most important one is to enable the Mod-Rewrite. Until you activate this, the setting will not be saves to your htacess files and without the custom configurations, installing this plugin is useless.
- We should not enable the PHP based cache serving. PHP is much slower than Apache, but then the flexibility will increase, but we don’t need it.
- The second option is to set the Gzip compression. With this option enabled, the data will be served in Gzip compression format. Gzip compress the files much more efficiently then zip or rar ( But neither of them are supported through htacess ).
- 304 browser caching, this option gets activated automatically with mod-rewrite rule enabled.
- Then we further get options like, don’t cache for known users ( enabling this option prevents WP super cache from caching pages for know or logged-in users ).
- Don’t cache pages with parameters ( Pages like search pages will not be cache ).
- The next one is to serve super-cached files to know users, with this option enables the know users are set as anonymous.
- Nest you get the cache rebuild option. When this is activated, super cached files are served to users when new cache is being generated.
- This is important feature if you get lots of visitors from mobile devices. This option makes cache files compatible for various range of mobile device.
So lets see the examples of settings :
Now I don’t think the rest of the option available in this page are needed to be discussed. Just select the recommended setting over here.
Now once you complete all the settings, you should go below and click on Update Status. Then you will be asked to update the rewrite rules. You can do so by clicking in Update Mod_Rewrite_rules. This is most important is WP super cache setup.
Now comes the cache expiration settings. Its always recommend to recreate a new cache file every one hour, that’s 3600 seconds. But if you don’t receive too many visitors then just add 6 hours. This will be 20600 seconds. It completely depends on you. You can chose any of the time. Once done just click on Change Expiration
Now lets move to plugin setup page. WP super Cache is one of the plugin of its kind, which supports sub plugins within itself. Ok let me explain you. You know that w3total cache supports minify. Similarly WP super cache also supports minify, but you have to install two important scripts. One is minify, which you can get from google codes and the other is WPSCMin
You have to just upload them to the plugin folder within wp-super cache main folder. See the example : domain.com/wp-content/plugins/supercache/plugins . Upload the files here and then go to Plugins sub setting in WP super cache. Activate the html minify. This option will seriously increase your page load time. Their are many other setting, but they are of no use. So just leave them.
Once you have completed all your task, you have to go to easy page, click on Delete cache, then again move to easy page and click Test cache. This will create a new cached page of your home page. Now your blog is ready to rock with its super fast speed.
This was the article on WP super cache setup guide. Please ask your questions in comment area.