It’s really hard for new bloggers to Setup WordPress SEO by yoast plugin. Joost is also one of the best WordPress plugin developer. He is also a SEO specialist. On demand from Google he developed a WordPress plugin for the whole blogging community. It’s the only needed plugin for WordPress when you want to make sure your blog or website is Search Engine Optimized.
Joost have made this plugin really very configurable and easy to understand for beginners, but it also have many advanced features for tweaking your website. Like canonical URL, Permalink clean up, Breadcrumbs and clean up head section.
Few Features of WordPress SEO by Yoast Plugin
- Internal Linking
- Modify RSS
- Titles and Meta tag control for homepage, posts, pages, categories, media files, author pages and many more..
- Permalink structure
- Social Integration
- Finally htaccess file editor ( within the dashboard )
Guide : How To Setup WordPress SEO By Yoast
Sitemap : This plugin allows the generation of xml sitemap for your blog. It also has built-in option to ping Yahoo, Ask.com. You have options to include or exclude posts, pages, media files, categories, tags formats.
I think you should use this service, but its little bit less customizable.
Internal Linking for better SEO: This plugin allows you to enable breadcrumb option. You have options to select the separator and also anchor text for homepage and breadcrumb paths. You can use any text, but better to use homepage title as anchor text for homepage. You also get options to set up prefix, but it’s not important and we don’t need it, so just leave it.
You have to select the Taxonomy to show in breadcrumbs, either category, tag or format. Now once done, you have to add the breadcrumb script in the theme file.
Modify RSS : We always have the problem with content scrapper tools. They scrape our complete content and publish them to their sites. Now if you want credit for your work, then its better for every one to add link at the footer. WordPress SEO by yoast helps us in doing so. It has different short tags, by using them you can add the linkback either above the feeds or below the feeds. You can add the sitelink, postlink, author link and text.
Title and Meta Tags Control :
- General settings : This page allows you to control robot.txt files for entire site. You can add the nodir and nodp to entite site, prevent it from getting indexed by open directory projects and yahoo directories. You can in force the SEO settings of this plugin, this will prevent different SEO patterns in your blog. Option to add or remove windows live writer manifest links. You can also set no-index to sub pages and archive files like search pages. See the settings below
- Homepage : This setting enables you to add custom site name and description for your blog. It allows author meta integration. This setting helps in complete Google authorship verification.
Their is complete set variable tags present in this plugin. With them you can implement custom site name, separator and description for every kind of blocks. From here we are going to use those variables in our settings.
- Posts, Categories, Tags, pages, media files : For all of them, there are different types of short tags; built within this plugin. You have to just copy them from help section and add to the appropriate section.
You also have option to set up SEO for archive pages, author pages and many more. But they are of no importance and they will rarely come into search engine results. They will also eat your server resources, so its better to set no-index and no follow to them
I have applied no-index and no-follow to tags, author pages, archives, formats. For media files I have left the complete area blank without adding any short tags.
- Social Integration : WordPress SEO by yoast plugin allows you to add Facebook open graph meta data in the head section and also allows you to add Twitter card meta data. This will make your blog more social and more search engine friendly.
- Permalinks Settings : This area is only for advanced users. If you know what you are doing then use it. This section provides settings to tweak base link structure of your blog. You can remove the category base from the blog post URL. It’s just like the permalink setting of WordPress, but just more advanced. Over here you can also add redirect to attachment pages. Redirect the ugly URL to clean permalink structure.
- Over here only we get Canonical settings : I have added force HTTP request.
- htaccess File Editor : This section allows you to clean up your header section. You can remove any unwanted files and setting from here. You can also add the onsite Gzip compression. This will help you to deliver your site more fast. It’s the most advance setting area for any blog, and I will suggest any beginner to remain away from here. WordPress SEO by yoast have such setting which really help to transform any WordPress site to completely Search Engine optimized blog.